Search

Man, 29, treated for swine flu

PUBLISHED: 12:22 08 May 2009 | UPDATED: 16:10 07 September 2010

A 29-YEAR-OLD man in Westminster has become the third person in London confirmed to have contracted swine flu. The man, who had recently returned from Mexico, was found to have the Influenza A/H1N1 virus on Thursday last week. He is being treated at home

A 29-YEAR-OLD man in Westminster has become the third person in London confirmed to have contracted swine flu.

The man, who had recently returned from Mexico, was found to have the Influenza A/H1N1 virus on Thursday last week. He is being treated at home and is said to be recovering.

The Health Protection Agency has also carried out tests on people who have had contact with him.

Meanwhile, pharmacies in the area have confirmed a surge in sales of surgical face masks and antibacterial hand sanitiser.

Nirikshai Desai, who runs St John's Wood Pharmacy in St John's Wood High Street, said: "We've been absolutely inundated with people coming in asking for hand sanitizer and face masks."

Imran Shaikh, of Madesil pharmacy in Marylebone High Street, said: "Everybody is out of stock. People are very worried."

There are now 28 confirmed cases of the disease in the UK - 24 in England and four in Scotland.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express