Major emergency operation after woman goes under train
A woman is believed to have jumped in front of a train at Swiss Cottage Tube station today.Emergency crews rushed to the Underground Station in Avenue Road just after 2pm and an ambulance helicopter landed in the open space behind Swiss Cottage
A WOMAN is believed to have jumped in front of a train at Swiss Cottage tube station today.
Emergency crews rushed to the Underground station in Avenue Road just after 2pm and an ambulance helicopter landed in the open space behind Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre at 2.40pm.
Police rushed in to open up a cordon around the landing site and the victim was taken to the aircraft on a stretcher.
One mother said: "It was really scary I was just sitting there with my baby enjoying the sun and suddenly it was really windy, I thought I was flying. I was so worried."
You may also want to watch:
The incident has caused major chaos at a busy junction with traffic being brought to a standstill by at least eight emergency vehicles.
The open space, meanwhile, was sealed off with police tape.
- 1 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 2 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 5 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 6 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 7 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 8 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 9 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
A British Transport Police (BTP) spokesman said: “BTP can confirm that a woman was injured after being struck by a southbound Jubilee Line train at Swiss Cottage station today.
“BTP officers attended the incident, which was reported to police at 2.06pm and is being treated as non-suspicious.
“The London Fire Brigade, paramedics from the London Ambulance Service and London Air Ambulance also attended and the woman was taken to hospital.”
The Tube is suspended between West Hampstead and Waterloo until further notice.