Major emergency operation after woman goes under train
A woman is believed to have jumped in front of a train at Swiss Cottage Tube station today.Emergency crews rushed to the Underground Station in Avenue Road just after 2pm and an ambulance helicopter landed in the open space behind Swiss Cottage
A WOMAN is believed to have jumped in front of a train at Swiss Cottage tube station today.
Emergency crews rushed to the Underground station in Avenue Road just after 2pm and an ambulance helicopter landed in the open space behind Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre at 2.40pm.
Police rushed in to open up a cordon around the landing site and the victim was taken to the aircraft on a stretcher.
One mother said: "It was really scary I was just sitting there with my baby enjoying the sun and suddenly it was really windy, I thought I was flying. I was so worried."
The incident has caused major chaos at a busy junction with traffic being brought to a standstill by at least eight emergency vehicles.
The open space, meanwhile, was sealed off with police tape.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 3 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 4 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 5 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 6 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 7 Cartoonist creates celebrity tube stops
- 8 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
- 9 Renaissance painting discovered in pensioner's bedroom sells for £255k
- 10 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
A British Transport Police (BTP) spokesman said: “BTP can confirm that a woman was injured after being struck by a southbound Jubilee Line train at Swiss Cottage station today.
“BTP officers attended the incident, which was reported to police at 2.06pm and is being treated as non-suspicious.
“The London Fire Brigade, paramedics from the London Ambulance Service and London Air Ambulance also attended and the woman was taken to hospital.”
The Tube is suspended between West Hampstead and Waterloo until further notice.