Luxury knitwear designer on her dream for pedestrianised Highgate Village
Painter and luxury knitwear designer Gohar Goddard has lived off Cromwell Avenue in Highgate for 26 years. Her next solo show will open at the Highgate Gallery, in South Grove, on Wednesday (May 28) and runs until June 21.
What is your favourite thing about Highgate?
The open spaces, the greenery, the thinner air, the views over London, the romantic story of Dick Whittington.
How has Highgate changed since you moved into the area?
It’s more cosmopolitan – and much better for it. There is a wonderful variety of languages spoken in the pubs, restaurants and shops of Highgate.
You may also want to watch:
What is the area’s best kept secret?
The little room in the library at the Highgate Literary and Scientific Institute. There are wonderful books of poetry from poets over the centuries.
- 1 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 2 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 3 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Former pupils launch creative fund to honour inspirational teacher
- 10 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
What would you change about Highgate?
Ban all traffic and transform its streets and squares into fully pedestrianised spaces, as happens so brilliantly in French villages.
What makes you smile on your way home?
Knowing I live in Highgate.
How would you spend your perfect Sunday in Highgate?
Having a Persian lunch in the garden surrounded by my six children and ten grandchildren.
What tips would you give to somebody moving to the area?
Use our local schools, they are some of the best in the country.
Where in the world would you twin with Highgate?
Entrecasteaux in Provence, the loveliest village in the Var, where I spend my summers.
Who has most inspired you?
The 13th century Persian poet Rumi. He allows one to hope and dream. I read one of his poems every night.
If you had to write your own epitaph what would it say?