Low rents for Swain’s Lane traders after parade redevelopment, developers promise
Traders in a crumbling Highgate shopping parade will be offered reduced rents after work to demolish and redevelop the land has finished, according to developers.
Lord Francis Listowel, owner of the Swain’s Lane parade, announced on Tuesday that he is committed to offering current tenants better terms if they return to their shops after the parade has been converted into flats, with a row of shops on the ground floor.
But campaigners fighting to preserve the parade’s character have said the announcement is unexpected and premature, as discussions with the community have not yet come to an end.
“We were surprised by the announcement from Lord Listowel,” said a spokesman from the Save Swain’s Lane Steering Committee. “We feel it is premature to suggest that this is resolved.
“While it is correct to say that we continue to work with Lord Listowel and his team to achieve planning consent, this is contingent on his issuing a definitive statement of his plan to make this a sustainable and unique parade, and to improve significantly the current design.”
Lord Listowel said: “At every stage of this process I have recognised the importance of working with the local community and a lot of hard work has been undertaken to respond to the views put forward.”
Lord Listowel has also committed to setting up a local forum to continue discussions with the community.
- 1 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 2 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 3 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 4 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 5 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 6 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 7 Family pay tribute to schoolgirl at West Hampstead bridge restoration
- 8 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 9 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 10 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
Revised plans for the parade are due to be submitted to Camden Council at the end of March.