Low rents for Swain’s Lane traders after parade redevelopment, developers promise
Traders in a crumbling Highgate shopping parade will be offered reduced rents after work to demolish and redevelop the land has finished, according to developers.
Lord Francis Listowel, owner of the Swain’s Lane parade, announced on Tuesday that he is committed to offering current tenants better terms if they return to their shops after the parade has been converted into flats, with a row of shops on the ground floor.
But campaigners fighting to preserve the parade’s character have said the announcement is unexpected and premature, as discussions with the community have not yet come to an end.
“We were surprised by the announcement from Lord Listowel,” said a spokesman from the Save Swain’s Lane Steering Committee. “We feel it is premature to suggest that this is resolved.
“While it is correct to say that we continue to work with Lord Listowel and his team to achieve planning consent, this is contingent on his issuing a definitive statement of his plan to make this a sustainable and unique parade, and to improve significantly the current design.”
You may also want to watch:
Lord Listowel said: “At every stage of this process I have recognised the importance of working with the local community and a lot of hard work has been undertaken to respond to the views put forward.”
Lord Listowel has also committed to setting up a local forum to continue discussions with the community.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 7 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 8 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 9 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 10 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
Revised plans for the parade are due to be submitted to Camden Council at the end of March.