Long battle for Talacre Gardens has been well worthwhile
Many local residents have worked hard to campaign to save Talacre Gardens, their local park. Our councillors have been very supportive too. But always there seemed to be enormous resistance on the part of Camden Council officers and the executive to gra
Many local residents have worked hard to campaign to save Talacre Gardens, their local park.
Our councillors have been very supportive too.
But always there seemed to be enormous resistance on the part of Camden Council officers and the executive to grant Town Green status for Talacre Gardens. Bearing this in mind, the executive meeting last Wednesday was nothing short of a miracle.
That is when the boundaries of the Town Green were determined. The threat was that protection would only be granted to a small portion of park - no more than a gesture. But battle-weary campaigners, executive members and officers finally got together to find a satisfactory resolution.
You may also want to watch:
Even Conservative leader Andrew Marshall, a vocal opponent of Town Green status conceded with grace that the generous boundaries were appropriate.
It has taken a while to sink in that a thousand years from now, when all of us will have long been dead and buried, Talacre Gardens will still be there for the enjoyment of the community.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 6 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 7 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 8 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 9 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 10 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
Residents love and cherish their park. It is safe forever.
Southampton Road, NW5