Long battle for Talacre Gardens has been well worthwhile
Many local residents have worked hard to campaign to save Talacre Gardens, their local park. Our councillors have been very supportive too. But always there seemed to be enormous resistance on the part of Camden Council officers and the executive to gra
Many local residents have worked hard to campaign to save Talacre Gardens, their local park.
Our councillors have been very supportive too.
But always there seemed to be enormous resistance on the part of Camden Council officers and the executive to grant Town Green status for Talacre Gardens. Bearing this in mind, the executive meeting last Wednesday was nothing short of a miracle.
That is when the boundaries of the Town Green were determined. The threat was that protection would only be granted to a small portion of park - no more than a gesture. But battle-weary campaigners, executive members and officers finally got together to find a satisfactory resolution.
You may also want to watch:
Even Conservative leader Andrew Marshall, a vocal opponent of Town Green status conceded with grace that the generous boundaries were appropriate.
It has taken a while to sink in that a thousand years from now, when all of us will have long been dead and buried, Talacre Gardens will still be there for the enjoyment of the community.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Letters: The floods!
- 9 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 10 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
Residents love and cherish their park. It is safe forever.
Southampton Road, NW5