London Overground security staff take industrial action, staging protest in Swiss Cottage
- Credit: Archant
Security staff working on the London Overground are taking industrial action in a dispute over the terms and conditions of their contracts.
Around 20 Travel Safe Officers from STM Security gathered outside London Overground’s head office in Finchley Road in Swiss Cottage this morning carrying placards and sounding horns.
The company is contracted to provide security at London Overground stations and carry out mobile patrols and monitor CCTV.
The Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers Union (RMT) claim their members, who mainly work on north London lines, are being “bullied” by management and receive no holiday or sick pay.
Assistant General Secretary at RMT Steve Hedley, who was at the protest, said: “STM Security staff are taking action short of a strike and have been locked out of work for doing so.
You may also want to watch:
“They were being bullied by management and since they joined the union they are getting less shifts. They’ve been told if they stop they will get more shifts.
“They’re being bullied for carrying out their democratic right of being in a union.”
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 8 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 9 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
He said all union members who work for London Overground would be balloted on Tuesday over the use of casual labour.
TfL’s Director for London Overground, Mike Stubbs, said: “This dispute is between STM, the company which supplies London Overground with its security officers, and the RMT union. It will not affect any London Overground services.”
Nobody from STM Security was available for comment.