London 2012: GB women end Olympics campaign with defeat against Brazil
Women’s basketball - Group B: Brazil 78 Great Britain 66
Great Britain’s women concluded their Olympic campaign with a defeat against Brazil as they finished bottom of Group B after five successive losses.
GB, who needed to finish ion the top four of the six teams to qualify for the quarter-finals, had already been eliminated before tonight’s clash.
They battled hard for their first victory of London 2012, with Azania Stewart and Temi Fagbenle – who both started their basketball careers in north London with Haringey Angels – continuing to enhance their reputations.
Stewart, 23, and Fagbenle, 20, both scored six points, but GB were unable to end their competition on a high, going down by 12 points against Brazil, who recorded their first triumph of the Games.
You may also want to watch:
Great Britain will be left to reflect on commendably close encounters against Russia (67-61) and particularly the undefeated group leaders France, who needed a winning basket 0.2 seconds from the end of overtime to overcome the brave Brits 80-77 on Friday.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 4 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 5 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Gravestone is a reminder that slavery left its mark in north London
- 10 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'