London 2012: GB women end Olympics campaign with defeat against Brazil
Women’s basketball - Group B: Brazil 78 Great Britain 66
Great Britain’s women concluded their Olympic campaign with a defeat against Brazil as they finished bottom of Group B after five successive losses.
GB, who needed to finish ion the top four of the six teams to qualify for the quarter-finals, had already been eliminated before tonight’s clash.
They battled hard for their first victory of London 2012, with Azania Stewart and Temi Fagbenle – who both started their basketball careers in north London with Haringey Angels – continuing to enhance their reputations.
Stewart, 23, and Fagbenle, 20, both scored six points, but GB were unable to end their competition on a high, going down by 12 points against Brazil, who recorded their first triumph of the Games.
You may also want to watch:
Great Britain will be left to reflect on commendably close encounters against Russia (67-61) and particularly the undefeated group leaders France, who needed a winning basket 0.2 seconds from the end of overtime to overcome the brave Brits 80-77 on Friday.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 3 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 4 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music for 'healthy hedonists'
- 5 Porsche driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police
- 6 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 7 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 8 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 9 Sabrina Francis made Camden's first Black woman mayor
- 10 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure