London 2012: GB women end Olympics campaign with defeat against Brazil
Women’s basketball - Group B: Brazil 78 Great Britain 66
Great Britain’s women concluded their Olympic campaign with a defeat against Brazil as they finished bottom of Group B after five successive losses.
GB, who needed to finish ion the top four of the six teams to qualify for the quarter-finals, had already been eliminated before tonight’s clash.
They battled hard for their first victory of London 2012, with Azania Stewart and Temi Fagbenle – who both started their basketball careers in north London with Haringey Angels – continuing to enhance their reputations.
Stewart, 23, and Fagbenle, 20, both scored six points, but GB were unable to end their competition on a high, going down by 12 points against Brazil, who recorded their first triumph of the Games.
You may also want to watch:
Great Britain will be left to reflect on commendably close encounters against Russia (67-61) and particularly the undefeated group leaders France, who needed a winning basket 0.2 seconds from the end of overtime to overcome the brave Brits 80-77 on Friday.
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 5 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 6 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 7 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 8 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 9 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 10 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale