London 2012: GB women end Olympics campaign with defeat against Brazil
Women’s basketball - Group B: Brazil 78 Great Britain 66
Great Britain’s women concluded their Olympic campaign with a defeat against Brazil as they finished bottom of Group B after five successive losses.
GB, who needed to finish ion the top four of the six teams to qualify for the quarter-finals, had already been eliminated before tonight’s clash.
They battled hard for their first victory of London 2012, with Azania Stewart and Temi Fagbenle – who both started their basketball careers in north London with Haringey Angels – continuing to enhance their reputations.
Stewart, 23, and Fagbenle, 20, both scored six points, but GB were unable to end their competition on a high, going down by 12 points against Brazil, who recorded their first triumph of the Games.
You may also want to watch:
Great Britain will be left to reflect on commendably close encounters against Russia (67-61) and particularly the undefeated group leaders France, who needed a winning basket 0.2 seconds from the end of overtime to overcome the brave Brits 80-77 on Friday.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 3 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 4 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 5 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 8 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 9 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 10 In pictures: The Parkland Walk in lockdown