Local Elections 2018: Belsize set for recount as vote goes down to the wire
- Credit: Harry Taylor
Candidates in Belsize will have to head to the Town Hall later today, as a handful of votes is thought to separate candidates in the key swing area.
Returning officer Mike Cooke confirmed the news in the early hours of the morning, after the Conservative Party asked for staff to count the votes again.
It’s thought a handful of votes separate the candidate in third place, and incumbent Leila Roy who might miss out.
It would be a huge blow for the Conservative group on the council, as Cllr Roy has become well-known for her work on the Chalcots Estate.
Former councillor, and Chalcots tenants and residents association member Tom Simon is believed to top the ballot.
You may also want to watch:
The council stated: “After a first round of counting, the Returning Officer has announced that all votes cast in Belsize ward will recounted at midday today (Friday 4 May 2018).”
Turnout was 42.5 per cent, higher than Camden which had 37.3pc.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 4 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 5 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 6 Barnet Council called in bailiffs over non-existent council tax bill
- 7 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 8 Famous Parliament Hill view still obscured as nesting birds delay work
- 9 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 10 Letter on shopping for one!
The count was held overnight at Somers Town Community Sports Centre.
If the final result does see the Conservative vote in the ward decrease, it would spell further disaster for the party who lost Swiss Cottage overnight.
Labour won the ward off the Tories for the first time in 20 years.
The new count will take place at Camden Town Hall, starting at midday.