Yes to Europe from Finchley and Golders Green MP Mike Freer
- Credit: Archant
Mike Freer, the Conservative MP for Finchley and Golders Green, has said he will vote to stay in the EU in the referendum on June 23.
Mr Freer’s office has confirmed that he is in favour of continued EU membership, but will not actively campaign to remain.
Mr Freer, who has a background working in business,has consistently voted in favour of holding a referendum, but has not previously indicated which way he would vote.
The Conservatives are divided on the EU question, with Tory “big beasts” including Boris Johnson, Zac Goldsmith and Michael Gove publicly announcing their intention to campaign to leave following the end of David Cameron’s renegotiations with Brussels.
Mr Freer is taking a different position to his immediate boss, Chris Grayling, to whom he acts as Parliamentary Private Secretary.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Grayling, who is Leader of the House, announced over the weekend that he would be part of the Conservative “no” campaign.
There is also some division within the Labour Party on the issue, although their front bench is united in favour of staying in.
- 1 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 2 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 3 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 4 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
- 7 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 8 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 9 Nursery to open in former Highgate Barclays building
- 10 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
Local Labour MPs, Sir Keir Starmer (Holborn and St Pancras), Tulip Siddiq (Hampstead and Kilburn) and Catherine West (Hornsey and Wood Green) will all campaign to stay within the EU.