Yes to Europe from Finchley and Golders Green MP Mike Freer
- Credit: Archant
Mike Freer, the Conservative MP for Finchley and Golders Green, has said he will vote to stay in the EU in the referendum on June 23.
Mr Freer’s office has confirmed that he is in favour of continued EU membership, but will not actively campaign to remain.
Mr Freer, who has a background working in business,has consistently voted in favour of holding a referendum, but has not previously indicated which way he would vote.
The Conservatives are divided on the EU question, with Tory “big beasts” including Boris Johnson, Zac Goldsmith and Michael Gove publicly announcing their intention to campaign to leave following the end of David Cameron’s renegotiations with Brussels.
Mr Freer is taking a different position to his immediate boss, Chris Grayling, to whom he acts as Parliamentary Private Secretary.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Grayling, who is Leader of the House, announced over the weekend that he would be part of the Conservative “no” campaign.
There is also some division within the Labour Party on the issue, although their front bench is united in favour of staying in.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 7 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 8 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 9 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 10 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
Local Labour MPs, Sir Keir Starmer (Holborn and St Pancras), Tulip Siddiq (Hampstead and Kilburn) and Catherine West (Hornsey and Wood Green) will all campaign to stay within the EU.