Yes to Europe from Finchley and Golders Green MP Mike Freer
- Credit: Archant
Mike Freer, the Conservative MP for Finchley and Golders Green, has said he will vote to stay in the EU in the referendum on June 23.
Mr Freer’s office has confirmed that he is in favour of continued EU membership, but will not actively campaign to remain.
Mr Freer, who has a background working in business,has consistently voted in favour of holding a referendum, but has not previously indicated which way he would vote.
The Conservatives are divided on the EU question, with Tory “big beasts” including Boris Johnson, Zac Goldsmith and Michael Gove publicly announcing their intention to campaign to leave following the end of David Cameron’s renegotiations with Brussels.
Mr Freer is taking a different position to his immediate boss, Chris Grayling, to whom he acts as Parliamentary Private Secretary.
Mr Grayling, who is Leader of the House, announced over the weekend that he would be part of the Conservative “no” campaign.
There is also some division within the Labour Party on the issue, although their front bench is united in favour of staying in.
- 1 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 2 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 3 Colourful Crouch End bollards to get a repaint due to 'safety' concerns
- 4 Boy, 14, charged following Harringay Sainsbury's stabbing
- 5 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 6 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 7 Care home opposite Kenwood labelled 'gross overdevelopment'
- 8 'Cover-up': Council withheld evidence from watchdog 'behind leader's back'
- 9 Holocaust Memorial Day: Hampstead pupils in Stoppard drama
- 10 Artist with autism gets purr of approval from Grayson Perry
Local Labour MPs, Sir Keir Starmer (Holborn and St Pancras), Tulip Siddiq (Hampstead and Kilburn) and Catherine West (Hornsey and Wood Green) will all campaign to stay within the EU.