Westminster spends �4million on 12 temporary staff
Council pays daily rate of more than �500 to a dozen temps with one role costing a total of �852,600
WESTMINSTER council has shelled out almost �4million on just 12 temporary staff members.
The highest paid staff member, a temporary head of regeneration and partnerships, costs the council �745 per day while the cost of hiring a senior project manager on a temporary basis for 1,421 days has cost a total of �852,600.
All 12 staff members charge a daily rate of more than �500 with many of the roles having been employed on a temporary basis for a number of years.
The costs are just part of the �10.5million Westminster spends on all its temporary staff each year.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Paul Dimoldenberg, Westminster Labour group leader, said: “How can the Conservatives justify paying these crazy prices for temporary staff, some of whom have been with the council for years, when long-serving staff are being made redundant at huge public expense?
“None of the jobs that these temporary staff are filling can be called ‘unique’ and they should not require expensive temporary agency staff.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 5 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 9 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 10 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
“Why is the council not recruiting staff in the normal way and paying the going rate for the job?”
Top three temporary staff costs:
Temporary head of regeneration and partnerships (608 days at �745 per day) = �453.446
Programme manager (364 days at �630 per day) = �229,320
Senior project manager (1,421 days at �600 per day) = �852,600
For more on this story see next week’s Wood&Vale.