West Hampstead and Fortune Green residents give a resounding ‘Yes’ in planning referendum
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Residents of Fortune Green and West Hampstead have voted overwhelmingly in favour of a new neighbourhood plan for their wards – giving the community “a more powerful voice” in future developments.
The referendum, only the second to take place in London, saw more than 93 per cent of 2,518 voters support the Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP).
The planning document was rolled out as part of the 2011 Localism Act to give residents more of a say in local development policy.
It provides guidelines on the height, design and makeup of future developments.
Camden Council will formally adopt the NDP in September with its policies informing decisions on subsequent developments in the area.
You may also want to watch:
James Earl, chair of the NDF, said: “A massive thank you to everyone who voted YES in yesterday’s referendum. We’re delighted with such a big YES vote and that the Fortune Green & West Hampstead Neighbourhood Plan will now come into force. We hope the Plan will have a positive impact on future development in our area and that it will give our community a powerful voice in planning decisions”.
Cllr Phil Jones, Camden Council cabinet member for regeneration, transport and planning, said: “The ‘yes’ vote shows democracy in action in Camden.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 6 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 7 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 8 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 9 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actor dies aged 52
- 10 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
“I congratulate the Fortune Green and West Hampstead Neighbourhood Forum for their hard work preparing the plan in consultation with residents, businesses, landowners and others.
“The area has a distinctive and much loved urban village character with some great amenities and a vibrant community spirit. As a designated growth area in the London Plan, there is already a lot of change happening around the area’s excellent transport links. The plan will seek to retain and protect West Hampstead’s positive features, while shaping the delivery of the new housing, jobs and facilities that local people need.”