SPEAKER'S CORNER: Amanda Platell
Australian-born Amanda Platell is a columnist for the Daily Mail and The Guardian. The journalist, who has also worked for the Daily Mirror, has lived in Hampstead for 15 years. Speaking after she gave a fundraising talk for Hampstead and Kilburn s Torie
Australian-born Amanda Platell is a columnist for the Daily Mail and The Guardian. The journalist, who has also worked for the Daily Mirror, has lived in Hampstead for 15 years.
Speaking after she gave a fundraising talk for Hampstead and Kilburn's Tories on Sunday night she said she thought people would vote on national issues this time around.
"This election will be about class, cuts and credibility and at the moment Gordon Brown's credibility is very low," she said. "The Conservatives have a real chance in Hampstead and Kilburn, especially with the boundary changes and a fairly weak incumbent who has not done very much in the constituency.
"The Conservatives regard the seat as one of their target seats. Chris Philp is a great local candidate and there are important issues but when people vote, they will be thinking nationally.
You may also want to watch:
"I think this is largely going to be a national election. It will be very much about who people want in Number 10 - Brown or Cameron. I think the Tories are going to win but the big question is by how much and whether they will get the majority that is big enough to allow them to do the things they need to do.
"Labour will try to turn it into a class war talking about the playing fields of Eton to make out that the Tories are out of touch with people. But I know that my Daily Mail readers, who are middle Britain, feel totally abandoned by Gordon Brown and believe that they are being taxed and penalised unfairly.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 3 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 4 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 7 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 10 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu