Rugby captain Simon Marcus wins Hampstead Town by-election for Conservatives
Hampstead rugby captain Simon Marcus has been elected as the new Conservative councillor for Hampstead Town ward.
The 40-year-old, who went to St Anthony’s School, in Fitzjohn’s Avenue, Hampstead, stormed to victory last night with 1,040 votes.
Liberal Democrat candidate Dr Jeffrey Fine came in second place with 695 votes followed by Labour’s Maddy Raman and the Green Party’s Sophie Dix.
Despite the celebrations only 29.5 per cent of people - 2,462 of 8,325 - registered to vote in Hampstead Town turned out to vote.
Mr Marcus, of Platt’s Lane, Hampstead, was spurred into entering the political arena after a brief spell in Brussels lobbying the European Union on behalf of the British Chamber of Commerce.
You may also want to watch:
He returned to Hampstead and started the Boxing Academy in Tottenham, providing an alternative to mainstream school for excluded teenagers, combing learning with discipline and culture of boxing.
He also contested the Barking seat in the 2010 General Election against BNP leader Nick Griffin, in which he came second.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 5 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 6 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 7 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 8 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 9 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
- 10 'State pension must be raised or older people face a dismal future'
The by-election was triggered when Conservative councillor Kirsty Roberts stepped down last month ahead of her move to the United States.
Mr Marcus will join Cllr Chris Knight (Conservative) and Cllr Linda Chung (Liberal Democrat) representing Hampstead Town ward on Camden Council.
Hampstead Town by-election results:
Simon Marcus (Conservative): 1,040
Dr Jeffrey Fine (Liberal Democrat): 695
Maddy Raman (Labour): 512
Sophie Dix (Green party): 207
Rejected votes: 9
Turnout: 29.5 per cent