MP Tulip Siddiq to sit on new women and equalities select committee
- Credit: Archant
New Hampstead and Kilburn MP Tulip Siddiq will sit on a newly-formed parliamentary select committee promoting women’s rights and equality.
Ms Siddiq was appointed to the women and equalities committee in the Commons yesterday.
The new committee, which will be chaired by former culture secretary Maria Miller, will examine the expenditure, administration and policy of the Government Equalities Office (GEO).
It will hold the government to account for its performance on equalities issues, involving race, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability and gender identity.
The committee joins more than 30 parliaments worldwide with equalities committees.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Siddiq said she was “delighted” to be on the committee, adding: “I look forward to working with colleagues from all sides of the house to hold the government’s performance to account regarding gender, age, race, disability, sexual orientation and transgender identity issues.”
- 1 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 7 'Forgotten Rivers' route proposed by The Ramblers
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 10 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans