MP Tulip Siddiq to sit on new women and equalities select committee
- Credit: Archant
New Hampstead and Kilburn MP Tulip Siddiq will sit on a newly-formed parliamentary select committee promoting women’s rights and equality.
Ms Siddiq was appointed to the women and equalities committee in the Commons yesterday.
The new committee, which will be chaired by former culture secretary Maria Miller, will examine the expenditure, administration and policy of the Government Equalities Office (GEO).
It will hold the government to account for its performance on equalities issues, involving race, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability and gender identity.
The committee joins more than 30 parliaments worldwide with equalities committees.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Siddiq said she was “delighted” to be on the committee, adding: “I look forward to working with colleagues from all sides of the house to hold the government’s performance to account regarding gender, age, race, disability, sexual orientation and transgender identity issues.”
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 7 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate