MP Tulip Siddiq to sit on new women and equalities select committee
- Credit: Archant
New Hampstead and Kilburn MP Tulip Siddiq will sit on a newly-formed parliamentary select committee promoting women’s rights and equality.
Ms Siddiq was appointed to the women and equalities committee in the Commons yesterday.
The new committee, which will be chaired by former culture secretary Maria Miller, will examine the expenditure, administration and policy of the Government Equalities Office (GEO).
It will hold the government to account for its performance on equalities issues, involving race, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability and gender identity.
The committee joins more than 30 parliaments worldwide with equalities committees.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Siddiq said she was “delighted” to be on the committee, adding: “I look forward to working with colleagues from all sides of the house to hold the government’s performance to account regarding gender, age, race, disability, sexual orientation and transgender identity issues.”
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 4 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 5 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 6 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 7 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 8 Hampstead Heath guru Diane is 'a lifeline' for women's walking group
- 9 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 10 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre