Lib Dem conference at Haverstock School cancelled due to threat of protest
THE threat of a student protest has forced the cancellation of a Liberal Democrat conference scheduled to take place at Haverstock School in Chalk Farm this weekend.
The party’s London MPs were due to meet at the school on Haverstock Hill but the headteacher has cancelled the booking because the risks from the protest were too great.
Students had been planning the protest on social networking websites. The conference has been moved to an alternative venue, according to the school’s website.
Fiona Edwards, speaking for the Free Education Campaign protest, said: “The cancellation of the venue for the conference is yet another sign of the deep unpopularity of the Liberal Democrats’ policy on fees and is hugely embarrassing for the party.”
The vote by MPs on the raising of tuition fees in England to an upper limit of �9,000 will be held next week.
You may also want to watch:
A number of protests will take place in the run-up.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 5 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'