Lib Dem conference at Haverstock School cancelled due to threat of protest
THE threat of a student protest has forced the cancellation of a Liberal Democrat conference scheduled to take place at Haverstock School in Chalk Farm this weekend.
The party’s London MPs were due to meet at the school on Haverstock Hill but the headteacher has cancelled the booking because the risks from the protest were too great.
Students had been planning the protest on social networking websites. The conference has been moved to an alternative venue, according to the school’s website.
Fiona Edwards, speaking for the Free Education Campaign protest, said: “The cancellation of the venue for the conference is yet another sign of the deep unpopularity of the Liberal Democrats’ policy on fees and is hugely embarrassing for the party.”
The vote by MPs on the raising of tuition fees in England to an upper limit of �9,000 will be held next week.
You may also want to watch:
A number of protests will take place in the run-up.
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 3 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 4 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 5 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 6 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 7 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
- 8 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 9 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 10 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up