Lawyer Sarah Sackman to stand as Labour candidate for Finchley and Golders Green
- Credit: Archant
Barrister Sarah Sackman has been selected as Labour’s parliamentary candidate for Finchley and Golders Green.
Ms Sackman won with a clear majority after a hustings held at Finchley Progressive Synagogue in Hutton Grove yesterday.
She beat two other candidates - Alon Or-Bach and Catherine Tuitt - with more than half of the votes from the 200 local Labour Party members.
The seat is currently held by Conservative MP Mike Freer who was elected in 2010. Before that Labour’s Rudi Vis held the seat for eight years.
Most of the constituency used to fall into the former constituency of Finchley, which was represented by Margaret Thatcher from 1959 to 1992.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Sackman was born and grew up in East Finchley attending South Hampstead High School. She now lives in Kentish Town.
She currently practices as a barrister specialising in public, planning and environmental law and has advised Labour’s front bench team on issues including legal aid and the controversial badger cull.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 3 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 4 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 5 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 6 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 7 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 8 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 9 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
Commenting on her victory, Ms Sackman said: “I’m delighted that Labour members have put their trust in me as their candidate for the next general election.
“Local residents are being hit hard by the Tories’ failing policies and are seeing their costs of living soar. They need someone they can count on to fight for the issues they care about.
“I’m keen to get out with our fantastic local councillors and activists to listen to the views of local residents and talk to them about how we can secure a better deal for the constituency.
“Our campaign for Finchley and Golders Green starts here”