Jewish charity trustee and billionaire’s wife becomes Camden mayoress
- Credit: Archant
Camden’s new mayoress is a trustee of well-known Jewish charity Mitzvah Day and a member of one of Britain’s richest families.
Daniela Pears was appointed as Camden mayoress alongside new mayor, Cllr Lazzaro Pietragnoli, during the annual council meeting at Camden Town Hall last Wednesday.
Mrs Pears, who lives in Hampstead with her husband Trevor Pears and their three children, is a trustee and inter-faith chair of Mitzvah Day UK, a charity backed by the Ham&High which organises an annual day of social action each November.
Mr Pears is a director of his family’s property company, the William Pears Group, headed by his brother Mark.
Last month, The Sunday Times valued the family’s wealth at £2.3billion, making them the 42nd richest family in Britain and Ireland.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Pears, who also runs his family’s philanthropic organisation, the Pears Foundation, based in Old Brewery Mews, Hampstead, watched from the council chamber last week as his wife was made mayoress.
She told the Ham&High: “I had a very unusual meeting with Lazzaro at the back of St Pancras Parish Church in Euston. A group of us met there and he introduced himself as the next Mayor of Camden - very casually!
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 5 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 8 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 9 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
- 10 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
“He said to me, ‘By the way, I want you to be the mayoress.’ He knows that I’m passionate about inter-faith, and that’s how it came about.
“In my year in office I want to work on integrating women with the Three Faiths Forum and have friendships built around an understanding of different cultures.”