Jewish charity trustee and billionaire’s wife becomes Camden mayoress
- Credit: Archant
Camden’s new mayoress is a trustee of well-known Jewish charity Mitzvah Day and a member of one of Britain’s richest families.
Daniela Pears was appointed as Camden mayoress alongside new mayor, Cllr Lazzaro Pietragnoli, during the annual council meeting at Camden Town Hall last Wednesday.
Mrs Pears, who lives in Hampstead with her husband Trevor Pears and their three children, is a trustee and inter-faith chair of Mitzvah Day UK, a charity backed by the Ham&High which organises an annual day of social action each November.
Mr Pears is a director of his family’s property company, the William Pears Group, headed by his brother Mark.
Last month, The Sunday Times valued the family’s wealth at £2.3billion, making them the 42nd richest family in Britain and Ireland.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Pears, who also runs his family’s philanthropic organisation, the Pears Foundation, based in Old Brewery Mews, Hampstead, watched from the council chamber last week as his wife was made mayoress.
She told the Ham&High: “I had a very unusual meeting with Lazzaro at the back of St Pancras Parish Church in Euston. A group of us met there and he introduced himself as the next Mayor of Camden - very casually!
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 4 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 5 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 7 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actor dies aged 52
“He said to me, ‘By the way, I want you to be the mayoress.’ He knows that I’m passionate about inter-faith, and that’s how it came about.
“In my year in office I want to work on integrating women with the Three Faiths Forum and have friendships built around an understanding of different cultures.”