Nazanin Ratcliffe’s fate is in your hands Boris - don’t let us down
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead lawyer Jessica Learmond-Criqui, who led the Ham&High’s march to free Nazanin last December, writes an open letter to Boris Johnson
It has taken over 19 months for you to become personally involved in Nazanin’s case despite the calls of numerous people for you to bring Nazanin and Gabriella home. It is certainly almost a year since I led a march on Downing Street and the Foreign Office demanding that you bring them home.
Yet, the day that you do become involved, your comments irreparably harm the chances of Nazanin’s freedom and potentially, her life.
Mistakes happen all the time – no one’s perfect – but in this situation, a further 5 years sentence inside Evin prison could make the difference to Nazanin surviving her ordeal.
You may also want to watch:
The people of this country expect a Foreign Secretary to make statements which command respect around the world and, most importantly, not to fluff his lines. You struggle with both of these expectations. Yet, you are the key to Nazanin and Gabriella coming home before Christmas this year.
I do not join the chorus of voices for your resignation – how will that help Nazanin? Time is of the essence and there is no time for someone else to get on top of this brief. It has taken long enough to get you personally involved. Rather, I and everyone else who is familiar with this case, now require you to take immediate steps to set Nazanin free.
- 1 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 2 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 3 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 4 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
- 8 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 9 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
- 10 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
I believe that you can do this, Boris, before December 25, 2017.
Do not let your misspoken words be the end of your involvement, but the catalyst for you to use your personal gravitas and position to bring the girls home.
It’s the least you can do for her.
Don’t let another Christmas go by without Nazanin and Gabriella being on British soil and in the loving embrace of her husband, Richard.
In the event that there are other issues or powers in play, then I would appeal to you as the entrusted holder of the great office of Foreign Secretary, to make steps in doing the right thing.
It’s in your hands Boris. Don’t let us down.