Nazanin Ratcliffe’s fate is in your hands Boris - don’t let us down
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead lawyer Jessica Learmond-Criqui, who led the Ham&High’s march to free Nazanin last December, writes an open letter to Boris Johnson
It has taken over 19 months for you to become personally involved in Nazanin’s case despite the calls of numerous people for you to bring Nazanin and Gabriella home. It is certainly almost a year since I led a march on Downing Street and the Foreign Office demanding that you bring them home.
Yet, the day that you do become involved, your comments irreparably harm the chances of Nazanin’s freedom and potentially, her life.
Mistakes happen all the time – no one’s perfect – but in this situation, a further 5 years sentence inside Evin prison could make the difference to Nazanin surviving her ordeal.
You may also want to watch:
The people of this country expect a Foreign Secretary to make statements which command respect around the world and, most importantly, not to fluff his lines. You struggle with both of these expectations. Yet, you are the key to Nazanin and Gabriella coming home before Christmas this year.
I do not join the chorus of voices for your resignation – how will that help Nazanin? Time is of the essence and there is no time for someone else to get on top of this brief. It has taken long enough to get you personally involved. Rather, I and everyone else who is familiar with this case, now require you to take immediate steps to set Nazanin free.
- 1 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 2 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 3 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 4 Hampstead bakery sells challah hearts for Mental Health Awareness Week
- 5 British fencing great Richard Kruse announces retirement
- 6 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 7 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 8 Reader letter: Rubbish bins in Camden need 'levelling up'
- 9 Bishopwood Bowling Club hopes to create new image for the sport
- 10 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
I believe that you can do this, Boris, before December 25, 2017.
Do not let your misspoken words be the end of your involvement, but the catalyst for you to use your personal gravitas and position to bring the girls home.
It’s the least you can do for her.
Don’t let another Christmas go by without Nazanin and Gabriella being on British soil and in the loving embrace of her husband, Richard.
In the event that there are other issues or powers in play, then I would appeal to you as the entrusted holder of the great office of Foreign Secretary, to make steps in doing the right thing.
It’s in your hands Boris. Don’t let us down.