“I’d wring Eric Pickles’ neck” says distraught councillor
Haringey councillor Gideon Bull made the bizarre threat after hearing a local day centre would be closed following the Communities Secretary’s cuts
A PASSIONATE councillor threatened to wring Local Government Minister Eric Pickles’ neck at an emotional cabinet meeting this week after discovering a day centre for the disabled will be closed by cuts.
Ward member for White Hart Lane and head of Scrutiny Cllr Gideon Bull made the bizarre rant while pleading with councillors to reconsider their decision to close The Haven in Tottenham as part of a multi-million pound cuts mission.
Haringey Council says it will be forced to save �85million over three years following Mr Pickles local government settlement announcement and changes to the benefits system by Chancellor George Osborne.
Cllr Bull said he had to “fight away tears” when he saw the list set for the axe, saying: “On the way hear I was listening to an 80s song called the Midas Touch - if I had the Midas touch I would put my hands around The Haven and try to save it.”
You may also want to watch:
Later he contined: “If I had my hands around Eric Pickles throat right now I would wring it until he stopped breathing because I think what he is doing to local government right now is disgusting.”
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 6 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 7 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 10 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town