Hundreds sign petition to save Queen’s Park sport centre
Hundreds of people have signed a petition calling on Westminster Council to scrap its plans to merge the Jubilee Sports Centre in Queen’s Park with the Moberly Sports Centre in Brent.
Earlier this year, residents were made aware of the proposals to demolish the Jubilee Sports Centre in Caird Road in order to build an improved �18million Moberly Sports Centre on its Kilburn Lane site.
But campaigners are urging the council not to shut the Jubilee and argue Queen’s Park would be less safe if the centre disappears.
North Westminster MP Karen Buck said: “I understand where the council is coming from. They are looking at saving money and they are looking at the site for development. But they have completely failed to tell people.
“The site in Brent is vastly less convenient for the majority of Westminster residents.”
You may also want to watch:
But Cllr Steve Summers said that no decision had been taken as a consultation was underway.
“We encourage residents and stakeholders in the area to take part in the consultation, which concludes on July 8,” he said.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 6 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 7 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
The petition will be presented to the council on July 11.