Hornsey and Wood Green MP celebrates appointment to Labour frontbench
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Hornsey and Wood Green’s Labour MP has spoken of her delight after being appointed to Jeremy Corbyn’s frontbench as a shadow foreign minister.
Catherine West said: “It’s a huge privilege and I’m really excited.”
She spoke of the many challenges ahead, including the Syrian refugee crisis and the rise of Isis.
The MP is determined to make a strong case for staying in Europe in the upcoming referendum.
Ms West, who was elected for the first time in May, was one of the MPs to nominate Jeremy Corbyn for the Labour leadership.
You may also want to watch:
She has known the head of the Labour party for years, having worked with him when she was head of Islington Council.
As one of his first acts after being appointed leader, Mr Corbyn joined Ms West on a solidarity march for refugees in central London last week.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 6 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 7 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines