Hornsey and Wood Green MP celebrates appointment to Labour frontbench
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Hornsey and Wood Green’s Labour MP has spoken of her delight after being appointed to Jeremy Corbyn’s frontbench as a shadow foreign minister.
Catherine West said: “It’s a huge privilege and I’m really excited.”
She spoke of the many challenges ahead, including the Syrian refugee crisis and the rise of Isis.
The MP is determined to make a strong case for staying in Europe in the upcoming referendum.
Ms West, who was elected for the first time in May, was one of the MPs to nominate Jeremy Corbyn for the Labour leadership.
You may also want to watch:
She has known the head of the Labour party for years, having worked with him when she was head of Islington Council.
As one of his first acts after being appointed leader, Mr Corbyn joined Ms West on a solidarity march for refugees in central London last week.
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again