Hornsey and Wood Green MP celebrates appointment to Labour frontbench
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Hornsey and Wood Green’s Labour MP has spoken of her delight after being appointed to Jeremy Corbyn’s frontbench as a shadow foreign minister.
Catherine West said: “It’s a huge privilege and I’m really excited.”
She spoke of the many challenges ahead, including the Syrian refugee crisis and the rise of Isis.
The MP is determined to make a strong case for staying in Europe in the upcoming referendum.
Ms West, who was elected for the first time in May, was one of the MPs to nominate Jeremy Corbyn for the Labour leadership.
You may also want to watch:
She has known the head of the Labour party for years, having worked with him when she was head of Islington Council.
As one of his first acts after being appointed leader, Mr Corbyn joined Ms West on a solidarity march for refugees in central London last week.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 5 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 8 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 9 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 10 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action