Highgate politician launches leadership challenge to become Camden Council boss
- Credit: Archant
A Highgate politician has launched a leadership challenge for the top job at Camden Council.
Councillor Sally Gimson has revealed her intention to stand against current leader Councillor Sarah Hayward.
Labour Cllr Gimson told the Ham&High that many within the ruling group believe their skills are not being used as well as they could.
She said: “I think it’s time for a change.
“I think we need an inclusive leadership that works with our MP, the trade unions and the party.
You may also want to watch:
“We need to resist what the government is doing.”
And the politician, who is cabinet member for adult social care and health, continued: “I think that we could use the talent of the group and the wider party better than we are doing.
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 4 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 5 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 6 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 7 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 8 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 9 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 10 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
“Now’s the time to do that.
“I’ve got a lot of support, quite a few people within the group have asked me if I’m going to stand.”
A secret ballot will be held at a meeting on May 3 to determine who will lead Camden Council.
Cllr Heyward has led the council since 2012.