Haringey shortlisted for Borough of Culture 2023
- Credit: Archant
Haringey has been shortlisted to become the London Borough of Culture.
Seven boroughs are competing for the accolade in 2021 and 2023 - Haringey is bidding for 2023. All will attend City Hall this month to present their cases, with the successful bids announced in February 2020.
Boroughs can also win cultural impact awards, granting each up to £200,000 to deliver cultural projects in the local area.
Kaushika Amin, Haringey Council's cabinet member for corporate and civic services, said: "Haringey is a borough bursting with ambition and creativity, with a distinctive group of communities contributing to a vibrant and colourful culture that is unique even within our fantastically diverse capital city.
"We are bidding for London Borough of Culture to bring Haringey to a wider audience to share and enjoy our contributions to culture, and to demonstrate what makes Haringey such a remarkable quarter of our great capital city."
You may also want to watch:
In November a statue celebrating anti-apartheid campaigner Oliver Tambo was unveiled at Albert Road Recreation Ground, and The London Borough of Culture bid will be developed in keeping with the area's heritage alongside community organisations.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Former pupils launch creative fund to honour inspirational teacher