Haringey gives green light for consultation on borough-wide 20mph speed limit
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Haringey Council could extend 20mph speed limits to every road in the borough – except some major routes – if the plan gets the backing of residents.
Cabinet members agreed to put the proposal out for consultation when they met last week. It would mean the 20mph limit would apply to every council-maintained road in the borough.
The only exclusions would be “red routes” owned by Transport for London, such as parts of Archway Road.
There are no proposals on the table to install more speed cameras to enforce the limits, but traffic calming measures would be put in place “where appropriate”, said the council.
Responsibility for catching speeding motorists remains with the police.
You may also want to watch:
Haringey is following the lead of Islington and Hackney where the limit already applies, and comes following appeals from residents and road safety and environmental campaigners.
The Transport Research Laboratory estimates that a 20mph limit could reduce personal injury accidents by 118 over three years.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 3 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 7 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 8 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
Cllr Nilgun Canver, Haringey cabinet member for the environment, said: “Reducing the speed limit to 20mph on all of our roads is the right thing to do and I’m glad that cabinet has agreed to go out to consultation.
“Now we can start the process of getting this in place and I urge residents to look seriously at these proposals to help us make our roads safer.”
The consultation will begin on July 1 and last three months.