Hampstead and Kilburn MP Tulip Siddiq is pregnant with first baby
- Credit: Archant
The pitter patter of tiny feet will soon be heard in the corridors of Parliament, as Hampstead and Kilburn MP Tulip Siddiq is expecting her first child in April next year.
Ms Siddiq, who won the marginal seat for Labour in May this year, said she is excited about becoming a mother, but will remain fully committed to her constituency work and plans to take off the minimum amount of maternity leave, all being well.
She has been spotted openly wearing a “Baby on Board” badge around and about in Parliament and in the street, and is now happy to go fully public with the news as she has passed the “safe” period.
She told the Ham&High: “I’m really excited, and all being well, I’m planning to give birth in the Royal Free.
“I’ve spoken to women like Rachel Reeves, who’ve had babies while they’ve been MPs, and taken advice from them about how to manage everything.”
You may also want to watch:
The Bangladeshi media are likely to react to the news with the excitement the British press shows towards royal pregnancies, as Ms Siddiq is the niece of the country’s Prime Minister, Sheikh Hasina, and granddaughter of the nation’s founding father.
She married her husband, company director Christian St John Percy, in 2013, when she was a councillor for Regent’s Park, and the couple now live in Finchley Road.
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 3 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 4 Mayor of Camden joins West Hampstead Primary School renaming fair
- 5 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 6 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 7 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 8 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
Ms Siddiq is considered one of the rising stars of the Labour Party, and has already become a Parliamentray Private Secretary for Michael Dugher in the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, a position regarded as a stepping stone towards the Shadow Cabinet.
The MP has dropped one or two hints about her condition on Twitter, referring to feeling sick but soldiering on back in September, and just this week, she retweeted an article from the New Statesman about how to make Parliament more “family friendly”.