Free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Jeremy Hunt marks Gabriella’s 5th birthday with renewed demand for her mum’s release
- Credit: Archant
Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has reiterated his demand that the Iranian authorities release Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe – on the day her daughter Gabriella turned five.
The West Hampstead woman has been kept in Iran's Evin jail for over 1000 days - during which Gabriella has been separated from both of her parents.
The little girl was on holiday with her mother in April 2016 - visiting the grandparents who have been her primary carers since then - when Nazanin was arrested.
Mr Hunt visited Gabriella in Iran late last year.
Today he said: ""Today - on Gabriella Ratcliffe's fifth birthday - I call again on the Iranian government to release Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe.
You may also want to watch:
"Gabriella should not have to spend yet another year apart from her mum. The distress that Nazanin's detention has caused to her family is unimaginable."
He also paid tribute to Richard Ratcliffe, who has never been allowed to enter Iran, saying: "Richard's courage and perseverance have shone a spotlight for the world to see the grave injustice that has been done."
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 7 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 8 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 9 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 10 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden