Free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Jeremy Hunt marks Gabriella’s 5th birthday with renewed demand for her mum’s release
- Credit: Archant
Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has reiterated his demand that the Iranian authorities release Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe – on the day her daughter Gabriella turned five.
The West Hampstead woman has been kept in Iran's Evin jail for over 1000 days - during which Gabriella has been separated from both of her parents.
The little girl was on holiday with her mother in April 2016 - visiting the grandparents who have been her primary carers since then - when Nazanin was arrested.
Mr Hunt visited Gabriella in Iran late last year.
Today he said: ""Today - on Gabriella Ratcliffe's fifth birthday - I call again on the Iranian government to release Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe.
You may also want to watch:
"Gabriella should not have to spend yet another year apart from her mum. The distress that Nazanin's detention has caused to her family is unimaginable."
He also paid tribute to Richard Ratcliffe, who has never been allowed to enter Iran, saying: "Richard's courage and perseverance have shone a spotlight for the world to see the grave injustice that has been done."
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
- 10 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved