Free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Decision on clemency for West Hampstead mum delayed by Iranian authorities
- Credit: Archant
On Wednesday a decision over whether or not Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe would be given clemency was delayed.
Nazanin’s father and lawyer, who had expected to hear from the Iranian prosecutors office of a decision, but were instead told to “come back on Sunday for an update”, Richard Ratcliffe said on social media today.
The Free Nazanin campaign posted on Twitter: “As many of you know, we were expecting to hear whether Nazanin’s application for clemency had been approved.
Nazanin’s father and lawyer and Nazanin (by phone) all spoke separately to the Prosecutors Office today. They were told to come back instead on Sunday for an update. No decision has been made yet on her clemency.”
On Sunday she is also expecting to hear whether her furlough outside of Evin Prison will be extended.
You may also want to watch:
Richard added: “The window of freedom remains ajar, but still continues to be stiff. Nazanin continues to have two bags packed.Thank you to everyone who continues to work behind the scenes to bring Nazanin home, and to all those who have been sending messages of care during the lockdown - for us and the other foreign prisoners held by Iran.”
Last week Richard told this newspaper the coronavirus crisis had brought a “window of opportunity” for Nazanin’s release.
She has now been imprisoned for more than four years – in that time the West Hampstead mum has been separated from her family.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music for 'healthy hedonists'
- 3 Porsche driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 5 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 6 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 7 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 8 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 9 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 10 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green
While on furlough – temporary release from prison, in this case specifically due to the coronavirus crisis – Nazanin has been able to video chat with Richard and their daughter Gabriella.
Gabriella, 5, returned to England in October 2019 having spent three years in the care of her maternal grandparents.