Finchley and Golders Green MP Mike Freer appointed Conservative Party vice-chairman
- Credit: Archant
Finchley and Golders Green MP Mike Freer has been appointed a vice-chairman of the Conservative Party.
Mr Freer joins a team of vice-chairmen supporting party chairman Grant Shapps, with a specific remit for equalities.
He has been a vocal campaigner on equality issues such as equal marriage, winning the coveted Spectator Speech of the Year Award for his parliamentary speech in support of equal marriage at February’s second reading of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act.
The politician joins the party chairman team in addition to his role as parliamentary private secretary to cabinet minister Eric Pickles.
He said: “Obviously I’m delighted to have been appointed as vice-chair. The nomination is in a large part due to the work I have undertaken in representing the diverse constituency of Finchley and Golders Green.
You may also want to watch:
“The role will also allow me to take what I hear on the doorstep in my constituency and feed that back into the policy making process.”
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Former pupils launch creative fund to honour inspirational teacher