Finchley and Golders Green MP Mike Freer appointed Conservative Party vice-chairman
- Credit: Archant
Finchley and Golders Green MP Mike Freer has been appointed a vice-chairman of the Conservative Party.
Mr Freer joins a team of vice-chairmen supporting party chairman Grant Shapps, with a specific remit for equalities.
He has been a vocal campaigner on equality issues such as equal marriage, winning the coveted Spectator Speech of the Year Award for his parliamentary speech in support of equal marriage at February’s second reading of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act.
The politician joins the party chairman team in addition to his role as parliamentary private secretary to cabinet minister Eric Pickles.
He said: “Obviously I’m delighted to have been appointed as vice-chair. The nomination is in a large part due to the work I have undertaken in representing the diverse constituency of Finchley and Golders Green.
You may also want to watch:
“The role will also allow me to take what I hear on the doorstep in my constituency and feed that back into the policy making process.”
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 7 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate