Finchley and Golders Green candidate Mike Freer is quietly confident of win
Mike Freer, the conservative candidate for Finchley and Golders Green is quietly confident he will be part of a Tory majority government by tomorrow morning. Speaking to Ham&High at the count held at the North London Business Park, Mike Freer said: I e
Mike Freer, the conservative candidate for Finchley and Golders Green is "quietly confident" he will be part of a Tory majority government by tomorrow morning.
Speaking to Ham&High at the count held at the North London Business Park, Mike Freer said: "I expect David Cameron to have a majority government by tomorrow morning and I look forward to being MP for Finchley and Golders Green if I am elected.
"It will be very nice to win the seat back. It looks good, but I expect it will be a couple of hours yet. I am quietly confident, but until it is announced I will take nothing for granted."
Counting is yet to get underway as all of the ballots are still being validated. Tellers have just been sent for a 15 minute break with aching hands and weary eyes after five hours of validating ballots.
You may also want to watch:
A massive amount of postal votes, estimated at 44,000, alongside a huge voter turnout, is holding up the count. Counting of the ballots is expected to begin within 20 minutes.
All three candidates are mingling amicably outside of the counting area. The expected victory for Mike Freer seems to have sapped any tension out of the evening and most eyes seem to be turned toward the national picture. There are plenty of tired faces at the count, especially among the Liberal Democrat group as they watch the national results pour in.
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 7 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate