Camden Council supports second referendum on Brexit
- Credit: Harry Taylor
Camden Council has backed calls for a second referendum on Brexit, with councillors overwhelmingly supporting a motion last night.
The vote, tabled by Lib Dem councillors Luisa Porritt and Flick Rea, was supported by all Labour councillors in the chamber and one Conservative rebel, former leader, Gio Spinella.
Cllr Spinella said Brexit “affects my life on the most intimate and personal of levels,” as his partner is an EU national. “I believe the wrong decision was made by this country two years ago. Democracy isn’t that if you don’t like the decision, you have to change it. But the people do have the right to change their minds.”
The rest of the Conservative group abstained. Current Conservative leader Oliver Cooper has previously said matters that the town hall has no control over shouldn’t be debated by the council.
The Labour-run council’s position now conflicts with the national party’s policy of calling for a general election, rather than a second referendum.
You may also want to watch:
Responding to the result, Cllr Porritt said: “I’m absolutely delighted the council passed the motion and really pleased that Camden Labour have finally done the right thing. It’s been a long journey to convince them to support the vote, but it was one of the things we said we’d do during the election.”
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 5 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 8 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 9 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 10 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden