Controversial Muswell Hill library move plans put in front of the public
- Credit: Archant
Controversial plans to move Muswell Hill library out of its current site have been put in front of the public.
A consultation on the proposal by Haringey Council will run until August 25.
Officials say the current building is inaccessible for people with pushchairs and wheelchairs, and want to move to a new building.
The options being put to the public are for the library to remain in its current location, or move to former Green Man pub in Muswell Hill.
No money is available for upgrading the existing building, which was built in 1931.
You may also want to watch:
The council’s cabinet member for customer services and culture, Councillor Bernice Vanier, who is responsible for libraries, said the move would open up the library to more people.
She said: “I am proud Haringey has kept all of its nine libraries open unlike many other councils in London.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'
“The changes we are proposing for Muswell Hill would create a new library in the town centre which is accessible to residents who use wheelchairs and parents with children in pushchairs.
Opposition Liberal Democrat members say the library should stay put with a lift installed.
It is thought the building could become a GP surgery.
The consultation can be found at haringey.gov.uk/mhl-public-engagement