Conservative leader Gio Spinella hits back over claims he doesn’t hold surgeries
- Credit: Harry Taylor
The leader of Camden Conservatives and councillor for Frognal and Fitzjohns has rubbished claims by Owen Jones that he doesn’t hold surgeries, and all Tory candidates in the ward are Brexit supporters.
Gio Spinella, who has represented the ward since 2014 said Mr Jones’ claims were “offensive.”
Cllr Spinella said: “I don’t know whether he was misinformed but we’ve held surgeries for the past eight years in the snow, rain and blistering sun.”
He said the councillors hold two surgeries a month, on Hampstead High Street and also in Hampstead Town Hall.
He also said he and fellow candidate Andrew Parkinson voted remain, and have spoken in favour of staying in the EU from the council chamber.
You may also want to watch:
The other Conservative candidate for Frognal and Fitzjohns is Henry Newman, who is the director of pro-Leave thinktank, Open Europe.
He said: “Attack me on my record, don’t do so on lies. It’s offensive they feel the need to lie to beat us.”
Mr Jones made his comments when he was canvassing in Camden on Saturday of May’s local elections.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 3 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 4 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music event for 'healthy hedonists'
- 5 Driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police - Porsche seized
- 6 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
- 7 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 8 Planning application nears for Murphy's Yard redevelopment
- 9 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 10 Mikel Arteta must trust Gabriel Martinelli against Villarreal