Conservative leader Gio Spinella hits back over claims he doesn’t hold surgeries
- Credit: Harry Taylor
The leader of Camden Conservatives and councillor for Frognal and Fitzjohns has rubbished claims by Owen Jones that he doesn’t hold surgeries, and all Tory candidates in the ward are Brexit supporters.
Gio Spinella, who has represented the ward since 2014 said Mr Jones’ claims were “offensive.”
Cllr Spinella said: “I don’t know whether he was misinformed but we’ve held surgeries for the past eight years in the snow, rain and blistering sun.”
He said the councillors hold two surgeries a month, on Hampstead High Street and also in Hampstead Town Hall.
He also said he and fellow candidate Andrew Parkinson voted remain, and have spoken in favour of staying in the EU from the council chamber.
You may also want to watch:
The other Conservative candidate for Frognal and Fitzjohns is Henry Newman, who is the director of pro-Leave thinktank, Open Europe.
He said: “Attack me on my record, don’t do so on lies. It’s offensive they feel the need to lie to beat us.”
Mr Jones made his comments when he was canvassing in Camden on Saturday of May’s local elections.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 3 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 4 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 5 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 6 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 7 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 8 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
- 9 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 10 Letters: The floods!