Conservative leader Gio Spinella hits back over claims he doesn’t hold surgeries
- Credit: Harry Taylor
The leader of Camden Conservatives and councillor for Frognal and Fitzjohns has rubbished claims by Owen Jones that he doesn’t hold surgeries, and all Tory candidates in the ward are Brexit supporters.
Gio Spinella, who has represented the ward since 2014 said Mr Jones’ claims were “offensive.”
Cllr Spinella said: “I don’t know whether he was misinformed but we’ve held surgeries for the past eight years in the snow, rain and blistering sun.”
He said the councillors hold two surgeries a month, on Hampstead High Street and also in Hampstead Town Hall.
He also said he and fellow candidate Andrew Parkinson voted remain, and have spoken in favour of staying in the EU from the council chamber.
You may also want to watch:
The other Conservative candidate for Frognal and Fitzjohns is Henry Newman, who is the director of pro-Leave thinktank, Open Europe.
He said: “Attack me on my record, don’t do so on lies. It’s offensive they feel the need to lie to beat us.”
Mr Jones made his comments when he was canvassing in Camden on Saturday of May’s local elections.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 7 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 8 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 9 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 10 Future of Royal Free Hospital nurseries uncertain amid staff consultation