Camden Tory landlord keeps roof over Labour colleague’s head
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Discovering that you are indebted to the opposition must be a politician’s worst nightmare.
But that was the reality facing Camden Labour councillor Abi Wood after her election in Haverstock ward last year.
Heathman was amused to discover this week that Cllr Wood rents a flat in Shoot-Up Hill, Kilburn, from Conservative finance spokesman Cllr Don Williams.
In fact, Cllr Williams has been his Labour colleague’s landlord for the last four years.
“It was something of a shock after two years to find out that she was a member of the Labour Party,” said Cllr Williams.
You may also want to watch:
“She’s been an excellent tenant and I’ve had no problems with her. We don’t talk politics though as you can imagine.”
Cllr Wood was equally complimentary about her landlord.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 5 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 6 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 7 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 8 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 9 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
“He’s fine,” she said. “I’m sure he enjoys all the Labour posters around the place.”
Heathman presumes Cllr Wood would not dream of missing a rent payment...or she could have her dirty linen aired in the Town Hall.