Camden election candidates pledge support for Freedom Pass at Age UK hustings
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Candidates from the four main parties standing in the council election debated issues affecting the borough’s older people at a hustings event held at Camden Town Hall.
The Camden branch of elderly charity Age UK organised the debate on Monday afternoon offering residents the chance to question council candidates on their policies for older people.
Green Party candidate Sian Berry, Conservative councillor Don Williams, Liberal Democrat Anne Ward and Cllr Pat Callaghan, Labour’s cabinet member for adult social care and health, made up the panel of speakers.
All four candidates pledged their support for the council’s Freedom Pass fund, with Cllr Callaghan describing the pass as “one of the best things that happened to me”.
There were also calls from Cllr Williams for increased funding to community centres and lunch clubs hits by council cuts.
You may also want to watch:
Gary Jones, chief executive of Age UK Camden, said: “I hope that the four parties who were represented at the hustings will take on board the comments raised at the meeting, along with Age UK London’s manifesto for local council elections, to ensure that Camden is a borough where older people are supported and their contribution valued.”
Age UK London’s manifesto for the local council elections is available online at ageuklondon.org.uk or by calling Age UK Camden on 020 7239 0400.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 7 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 10 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill