Barnet Labour cut Tory council control to one seat in storming victory at postponed election
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
Barnet Labour met expectations with a resounding victory in the postponed Colindale ward election last night - to cut the Conservative majority on the council to just one seat.
All three Labour candidates standing in the ward celebrated emphatic victories in the poll, which was postponed during the borough-wide local elections last month following the unexpected death of a Green Party candidate.
Last night, Labour candidates Nagus Narenthira, Gill Sargeant and Zakia Zubairi were confirmed election victors with over 6,000 votes between them.
The Conservative candidates were the closest runners-up with just over 1,300 votes between them.
The UK Independence Party (UKIP) beat the Green Party and Liberal Democrats into third place.
You may also want to watch:
The election leaves the Conservatives clinging onto control of the council with 32 seats overall to Labour’s 30 and one for the Liberal Democrats.
Colindale election results by political party:
- 1 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 2 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 3 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 4 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 5 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 6 Mikel Arteta 'excited' by Arsenal's appointment of Richard Garlick
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Housing: Billionaire owner of 'squalid shoeboxes' must 'up its game'
- 9 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 10 Ice cream shop supporting freelancers opens in Primose Hill
Labour: 6,293 (67.9 per cent)
Conservative: 1,387 (14.9 per cent)
UKIP: 924 (9.9 per cent)
Green Party: 352 (3.7 per cent)
Liberal Democrat: 310 (3.3 per cent)
Colindale election results by candidate:
Nagus Narenthira, Labour: 2,190 ELECTED
Gill Sargeant, Labour: 2,088 ELECTED
Zakia Zubairi, Labour: 2,015 ELECTED
Nneka Akwaeze, Conservative: 501
William Nicholson, Conservative: 466
Golnar Bokaei, Conservative: 420
John Baskin, UK Independence Party (UKIP): 347
Barry Ryan, UK Independence Party (UKIP): 309
Khalid Khan, UK Independence Party (UKIP): 268
Daniel Estermann, Liberal Democrat: 133
Maggie Curati, Green Party: 130
Andrew Newby, Green Party: 114
Francesco Marasco, Green Party: 108
Victor Corney, Liberal Democrat: 90
Sabriye Warsame, Liberal Democrat: 87