Angry protest against Lib Dem MP’s tuition fees vote
Constituents of Lynne Featherstone took to Crouch End streets on Saturday to express their frustration
ANGRY constituents of Liberal Democrat MP Lynne Featherstone this weekend led a vocal protest against her decision to vote for the government’s plans to increase tuition fees by up to �6,000.
Haringey TUC says up to 150 people gathered at Crouch End clocktower to serve notice on Lib Dem Minister that she is no longer wanted as MP for Hornsey & Wood Green after voting for the Government’s tuition fees hike on Thursday.
The group says it makes the protest one of the largest in the area in recent times and promised that the demonstration would not be the last, with others promised in the new year.
The protest, called by the Haringey Right to Work campaign, heard from Steve Hart leading local Labour Party officer and Unite official, Jenny Sutton from the University and College Union in Haringey and Shirley Franklin from the Defend the Whittington Hospital campaign amongst others.
You may also want to watch:
Protestors held a number of placards, including a number bearing the slogan “Lynne Featherstone - shame on you for turning blue”.
Haringey Trades Council chairman Keith Flett said: “This was an impressive and broad turn out for a lunchtime rally on the penultimate Saturday before Xmas but it’s just the beginning.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 5 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 6 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 7 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
“It served notice on Lynne Featherstone that time is being called on her as local MP and there will be more protests in the new year.”