Limited number of fans allowed back at sports venues next month - Boris Johnson

General view of the ground during Leyton Orient vs Harrogate Town, Sky Bet EFL League 2 Football at

General view of the ground during Leyton Orient vs Harrogate Town, Sky Bet EFL League 2 Football at The Breyer Group Stadium on 21st November 2020 - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo

Spectators are set to return to sports venues next month as coronavirus restrictions are eased in areas with lower infection rates.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced that outdoor and indoor venues in tier 1 and 2 areas would be allowed to admit spectators on a limited basis.

Johnson said in a statement to the House of Commons: “Spectator sports and business events will be free to resume inside and outside with capacity limits and social distancing, providing more consistency with indoor performances in theatres and concert halls.”

He did not confirm the capacity limits or percentages, but culture Secretary Oliver Dowden later outlined in a tweet that 4,000 spectators or 50 per cent capacity limits - whichever is lowest - would be in place in tier 1, dropping to 2,000 or 50 per cent for indoor venues, while in tier 2 it will be 2,000 outdoors and 1,000 indoors, or 50 per cent capacity.

Dowden wrote on Twitter: “Sports fans back in stadia from 2nd Dec 4K or 50% of capacity in Tier 1, 2K or 50% of capacity in Tier 2.


You may also want to watch:


“A big step forward for fans as we work towards fuller capacities.

“Thanks to pilot hosts & fans for showing this can be done safely.”

Most Read

Johnson also said outdoor grassroots sports and indoor sports facilities like gyms would be able to reopen.

Spectators had been due to be allowed to return to stadiums from October 1 but the Government pressed pause on that decision due to a rise in infections nationwide.

Dowden said last week there was “definitely a chance” of some venues being able to reopen on a limited basis by Christmas in the areas with the lowest infection rates.

Last Thursday the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport announced a £300million ‘Winter Survival Package’ of loans and grants to sports which are facing financial losses as a result of the absence of fans from stadiums.

Grassroots sport had been forced to pause since November 5 when the second lockdown came into force, a decision which led to protests and even parliamentary debates over whether certain activities and pastimes should be

made exempt.

Dowden tweeted on Monday afternoon: “Grassroots sport back on to help the nation stay fit & healthy.

“Gyms open & amateur sport back on in all areas. Kids team sport open in all areas.

“Some mitigations for high contact sports & adults sport indoors.”

Former Wales midfielder and football pundit Robbie Savage, who has spoken about the detrimental impact of suspending grassroots sport, welcomed the news.

“Well done Oliver, thank you from thousands of kids around the country and sorry for constantly tweeting you,” he wrote on Twitter.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus