Camden schoolgirl wins charity gong for deafness awareness campaigning
- Credit: Archant
Camden schoolgirl and deafness campaigner Lily Conlan capped a remarkable year by beating off competition from all over the country win a prestigious charity award.
The seven year old won a public vote to nab the ‘Community Spirit’ prize at a glitzy gala ceremony held in Gateshead by the charity Signature, who try to recognise people who are going above and beyond to improve access for deaf people.
Lily’s mum, Angela, said they had a great night out in the north-east.
She added: “I could not be more proud! We are absolutely over the moon that she has been recognised for all her hard work helping others, inspiring determination and raising deaf awareness.”
Lily hit the headlines earlier this year when she starred in a fundraising video for the charity Auditory Verbal UK.
You may also want to watch:
The Kings Cross Academy pupil herself has hearing difficulties, but having had a cochlear implant which markedly improved her quality of life, she has been trying to give back.
Lindsay Foster, Signature’s executive director, said “With over 3000 votes, it was by far the biggest, and most exciting competition that the Signature Annual Awards has every seen. Lily’s story is both inspirational and unique.”
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 7 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 8 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 9 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 10 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity