Lib Dems pounce on Haringey's slide to one star status
Haringey s Liberal Democrat opposition has been quick to highlight the council s fall back to one star status, questioning why the council was ever awarded three stars in the first place. MP Lynne Featherstone said: We can only regret that the Audit
Haringey's Liberal Democrat opposition has been quick to highlight the council's fall back to 'one star' status, questioning why the council was ever awarded three stars in the first place.
MP Lynne Featherstone said: "We can only regret that the Audit Commission did not reach these conclusions sooner. Early indications of the failings in Children Service might have helped prevent the well publicised tragedy that followed.
"Questions still remain unanswered how three stars were previously awarded to a service that has so publicly proved not to have deserved it.
"Up to now the Audit Commission has been complicit in the tick box culture that lulled all into a sense of security. I hope this marks a new chapter shedding a welcome eye on key services."
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Robert Gorrie, Liberal Democrat opposition leader on Haringey Council adds:
"We have continually challenged the Labour Council's leadership on sleep-like affliction to tick the right boxes and their neglect of their key responsibility - to deliver for the people of Haringey.
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 3 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 4 Mayor of Camden joins West Hampstead Primary School renaming fair
- 5 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 6 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 7 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 8 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 9 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
- 10 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
"Local residents and scrutineers rely on the supposedly expert assessment of service performance. Recent experience has shown how badly we have been let down.
"I very much hope this new assessment marks a watershed in this failed regime."