Lib Dems pounce on Haringey's slide to one star status
Haringey s Liberal Democrat opposition has been quick to highlight the council s fall back to one star status, questioning why the council was ever awarded three stars in the first place. MP Lynne Featherstone said: We can only regret that the Audit
Haringey's Liberal Democrat opposition has been quick to highlight the council's fall back to 'one star' status, questioning why the council was ever awarded three stars in the first place.
MP Lynne Featherstone said: "We can only regret that the Audit Commission did not reach these conclusions sooner. Early indications of the failings in Children Service might have helped prevent the well publicised tragedy that followed.
"Questions still remain unanswered how three stars were previously awarded to a service that has so publicly proved not to have deserved it.
"Up to now the Audit Commission has been complicit in the tick box culture that lulled all into a sense of security. I hope this marks a new chapter shedding a welcome eye on key services."
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Robert Gorrie, Liberal Democrat opposition leader on Haringey Council adds:
"We have continually challenged the Labour Council's leadership on sleep-like affliction to tick the right boxes and their neglect of their key responsibility - to deliver for the people of Haringey.
- 1 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 2 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 4 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 5 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 6 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 7 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 8 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 9 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 10 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
"Local residents and scrutineers rely on the supposedly expert assessment of service performance. Recent experience has shown how badly we have been let down.
"I very much hope this new assessment marks a watershed in this failed regime."