Lib Dems pounce on Haringey's slide to one star status
Haringey s Liberal Democrat opposition has been quick to highlight the council s fall back to one star status, questioning why the council was ever awarded three stars in the first place. MP Lynne Featherstone said: We can only regret that the Audit
Haringey's Liberal Democrat opposition has been quick to highlight the council's fall back to 'one star' status, questioning why the council was ever awarded three stars in the first place.
MP Lynne Featherstone said: "We can only regret that the Audit Commission did not reach these conclusions sooner. Early indications of the failings in Children Service might have helped prevent the well publicised tragedy that followed.
"Questions still remain unanswered how three stars were previously awarded to a service that has so publicly proved not to have deserved it.
"Up to now the Audit Commission has been complicit in the tick box culture that lulled all into a sense of security. I hope this marks a new chapter shedding a welcome eye on key services."
Councillor Robert Gorrie, Liberal Democrat opposition leader on Haringey Council adds:
"We have continually challenged the Labour Council's leadership on sleep-like affliction to tick the right boxes and their neglect of their key responsibility - to deliver for the people of Haringey.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 5 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 6 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 7 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 8 Sexual offence reports at record levels in Camden, Haringey and Barnet
- 9 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 10 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
"Local residents and scrutineers rely on the supposedly expert assessment of service performance. Recent experience has shown how badly we have been let down.
"I very much hope this new assessment marks a watershed in this failed regime."