Lib Dems pounce on Haringey's slide to one star status
Haringey s Liberal Democrat opposition has been quick to highlight the council s fall back to one star status, questioning why the council was ever awarded three stars in the first place. MP Lynne Featherstone said: We can only regret that the Audit
Haringey's Liberal Democrat opposition has been quick to highlight the council's fall back to 'one star' status, questioning why the council was ever awarded three stars in the first place.
MP Lynne Featherstone said: "We can only regret that the Audit Commission did not reach these conclusions sooner. Early indications of the failings in Children Service might have helped prevent the well publicised tragedy that followed.
"Questions still remain unanswered how three stars were previously awarded to a service that has so publicly proved not to have deserved it.
"Up to now the Audit Commission has been complicit in the tick box culture that lulled all into a sense of security. I hope this marks a new chapter shedding a welcome eye on key services."
Councillor Robert Gorrie, Liberal Democrat opposition leader on Haringey Council adds:
"We have continually challenged the Labour Council's leadership on sleep-like affliction to tick the right boxes and their neglect of their key responsibility - to deliver for the people of Haringey.
- 1 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 2 Police probe reports of shooting at scene of crash in West Hampstead
- 3 St John's Wood prep school downgraded to 'requires improvement'
- 4 Paddling pool to be open all week after pipes replaced
- 5 Elton John rockets through career-spanning show at BST Hyde Park
- 6 Police search for witness who helped rape victim
- 7 Three north London men charged after boxer Amir Khan ‘robbed at gunpoint’
- 8 Primrose Hill gates could close again due to antisocial behaviour
- 9 Herbie Hancock: Still going strong at 82
- 10 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
"Local residents and scrutineers rely on the supposedly expert assessment of service performance. Recent experience has shown how badly we have been let down.
"I very much hope this new assessment marks a watershed in this failed regime."