Lib Dems hold on to Belsize seat
LIBERAL Democrat candidate Tom Simon has won the Belsize by-election to become the third councillor for the ward. Tom Simon, 32, from Fellows Road won the election held yesterday by 184 votes over his Conservative rival. The by-election was held after f
LIBERAL Democrat candidate Tom Simon has won the Belsize by-election to become the third councillor for the ward.
Tom Simon, 32, from Fellows Road won the election held yesterday by 184 votes over his Conservative rival.
The by-election was held after former Lib Dem Chris Basson resigned, 29.82 per cent of residents voted giving Mr Simon a winning vote of 1136.
Conservative Gary Bernardout won 952 votes, Labour's Sean Birch won 270 and Green Naomi Aptowitzer 109 votes.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking to the Ham&High yesterday, trainee barrister Mr Simon said the whole race had been a positive experience for him.
"The issues I've campaigned on from the beginning have been the ones important to the area, the primary school, replacing the post office and recycling," he said.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 7 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 10 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
"It has been very interesting, I've met different people with different good ideas that I will be coming back to if elected.
"This is a diverse area which needs solutions specific to particular areas and some instances even streets.
"The general feeling I'm getting is very positive and has been more and more positive as our campaign has gone on.