Lib Dem's Nancy wins race to Fortune Green seat
LIB Dem candidate Nancy Jirira was voted in as the new councillor for Fortune Green on Thursday
LIB Dem candidate Nancy Jirira was voted in as the new councillor for Fortune Green on Thursday.
Ms Jirira, a NHS health worker and the council's first female black councillor, received a huge endorsement with more than double the number of votes given to the second placed candidate.
Speaking to the Ham&High after the by-election she said: "I am overwhelmed and feel very honoured to have received the majority I did. I am looking forward to starting on the council and there are lots of local issues I want to bring in."
Ms Jirira, who lives in Sarre Road, won 1,206 votes in the ward, with Tory candidate Heather Downham coming second with 551 votes. Labour's nominee Tulip Siddiq received 405 votes and Green candidate Tim Wilmott got 178 votes.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Jirira replaces Cllr Jane Schopflin, who died in December after representing the area for 17 years.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 Emergency services at Gospel Oak estate over safety concern
- 3 Famous Parliament Hill view still obscured as nesting birds delay work
- 4 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 5 Camden Council wrongly refused housing to domestic abuse victim
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 7 All's Well That Ends Well – al fresco
- 8 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 9 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 10 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town