Lib Dem's Nancy wins race to Fortune Green seat
LIB Dem candidate Nancy Jirira was voted in as the new councillor for Fortune Green on Thursday
LIB Dem candidate Nancy Jirira was voted in as the new councillor for Fortune Green on Thursday.
Ms Jirira, a NHS health worker and the council's first female black councillor, received a huge endorsement with more than double the number of votes given to the second placed candidate.
Speaking to the Ham&High after the by-election she said: "I am overwhelmed and feel very honoured to have received the majority I did. I am looking forward to starting on the council and there are lots of local issues I want to bring in."
Ms Jirira, who lives in Sarre Road, won 1,206 votes in the ward, with Tory candidate Heather Downham coming second with 551 votes. Labour's nominee Tulip Siddiq received 405 votes and Green candidate Tim Wilmott got 178 votes.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Jirira replaces Cllr Jane Schopflin, who died in December after representing the area for 17 years.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 6 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 7 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Camden men jailed for rape of teenager targeted by Tube station