Lib Dem's Nancy wins race to Fortune Green seat
LIB Dem candidate Nancy Jirira was voted in as the new councillor for Fortune Green on Thursday
LIB Dem candidate Nancy Jirira was voted in as the new councillor for Fortune Green on Thursday.
Ms Jirira, a NHS health worker and the council's first female black councillor, received a huge endorsement with more than double the number of votes given to the second placed candidate.
Speaking to the Ham&High after the by-election she said: "I am overwhelmed and feel very honoured to have received the majority I did. I am looking forward to starting on the council and there are lots of local issues I want to bring in."
Ms Jirira, who lives in Sarre Road, won 1,206 votes in the ward, with Tory candidate Heather Downham coming second with 551 votes. Labour's nominee Tulip Siddiq received 405 votes and Green candidate Tim Wilmott got 178 votes.
Ms Jirira replaces Cllr Jane Schopflin, who died in December after representing the area for 17 years.
- 1 Bus collides with lamppost in Muswell Hill crash
- 2 Stephen Mangan has Crouch End pupils 'in stitches'
- 3 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 4 Developer told to dig up granite slabs at Hornsey Town Hall Square
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood feels like walking in a winter wonderland
- 6 George Michael estate helps fund Highgate Christmas lights
- 7 Infected Blood Inquiry: Transfusion centre was 'disaster zone'
- 8 Villa Bianca brings the Christmas cheer to Hampstead
- 9 Haringey Council makes senior leadership appointments
- 10 Covid-19: Omicron cases confirmed in Haringey and Barnet