Lib Dem Maajid Nawaz moves to deny link to Afzal Amin ‘EDL plot’
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
The Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn has moved quickly to deny any involvement in an alleged plot with the English Defence League (EDL) which led to the resignation of a Conservative candidate.
Maajid Nawaz, who is standing for the Lib Dems in May’s general election, has denied having any knowledge of the EDL plot alleged to have been orchestrated by Afzal Amin, who was standing for the Tories in Dudley North constituency.
Mr Amin was accused of attempting to form a plot with far-right group the EDL in which they would announce a march in Dudley North and he would take credit when it was scrapped.
He has now resigned as a Tory candidate having been suspended by the party over the affair.
Mr Nawaz was dragged into the controversy after former EDL leader Tommy Robinson, who is alleged to have been approached by Mr Amin about the plot, told LBC’s Nick Ferrari that he was originally introduced to Mr Amin at an event organised by Quilliam, a counterterrorism think-tank founded by Mr Nawaz.
You may also want to watch:
In 2013, Mr Robinson announced his decision to leave the EDL at a press conference alongside Mr Nawaz in a move brokered by Quilliam.
Responding to allegations he was the “middle man” in Mr Amin’s suspected plot with Mr Robinson, Mr Nawaz wrote on Twitter: “It’s all lies. Made up. Simple as that.”
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 5 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 6 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 7 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 8 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 9 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 10 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
Mr Robinson tweeted: “Beyond meeting Afzal at an open meeting a yr ago- organised to introduce me to Muslims after I left EDL-Maajid had no idea about this at all”.
Mr Nawaz refused to comment when approached by the Ham&High.