Lib Dem Maajid Nawaz believes ‘extra factor’ can get him to parliament despite Camden losses
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
One Liberal Democrat who must have felt the party’s local election hurt harder than most is parliamentary candidate Maajid Nawaz.
His challenge of getting elected to parliament in Hampstead and Kilburn at next year’s general election is now tougher than ever if the party’s drubbing in Camden is anything to go by, which it surely must be.
Heathman found a lone Mr Nawaz taking stock of the Lib Dems’ fate in a corner of the Somers Town Community Sports Centre towards the end of the Camden vote count on Friday night.
He cut a dejected figure but when asked how he intended to come back from such a miserable night at the polls, Mr Nawaz insisted he had an “extra factor” as an individual candidate that could overcome his party’s waning popularity.
“That’s going to be something that the other two don’t have,” he told Heathman. “It’s the reason why I’ve already had promises from Labour members saying, ‘We are going to host dinners for you in the constituency.’
You may also want to watch:
“It’s the reason why Simon Marcus, when he was interviewed by Al Jazeera that time, said he’s not sure he can win. They are worried about that extra factor.
“This Wednesday I’m being interviewed on Matt Forde’s show, that comedy show. He’s a Labour member. I’m the only PPC he’s ever invited to interview on that show because he contacted me to say he loves my book, that’s the sort of image which I’m going to have to try and magnify in this campaign. It’s going to be hard but I’ve got a year ahead to do that.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 4 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 5 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Murder arrest after Primrose Hill woman dies from stab wounds
- 10 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
“My autobiography…we have got some very serious discussions [underway] because there’s a production company that’s in the middle of buying the option so it’s interesting commissioning that so it gets televised.
“So there’s going to be a lot around what I bring to politics and I’m hoping that people wider in the constituency begin to understand who I am and what I bring.”