Levy sees David James as a poor investment - so it's no deal
Spurs manager Harry Redknapp may have persuaded Daniel Levy to free up the funds for Nico Kranjcar, but the chairman was unwilling to purchase yet another Portsmouth player, goalkeeper David James. Redknapp was keen to sign his favourite stopper, who he
Spurs manager Harry Redknapp may have persuaded Daniel Levy to free up the funds for Nico Kranjcar, but the chairman was unwilling to purchase yet another Portsmouth player, goalkeeper David James.
Redknapp was keen to sign his favourite stopper, who he continually calls "England's number one", especially as Heurelho Gomes will be sidelined for at least another two weeks with a thigh strain sustained against Hull City in the first week of the season.
Meanwhile, Spurs number two Carlo Cudicini is struggling for form and has made costly gaffes in his last two appearances against West Ham and Birmingham.
Despite the lack of senior goalkeeping cover, Levy decided that 39-year-old James offered no sell-on value, and vetoed the deal.
You may also want to watch:
Curiously, the Lilywhites have agreed to loan out two of their young goalkeepers, David Button and Oscar Jansson. Button returns to Crewe Alexandra, while Sweden Under-21 stopper Jansson will spend the next month with Exeter City.
Should Cudicini suffer an injury, Tottenham will ask the FA for permission to sign a keeper on an "emergency loan" basis.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 3 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 6 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 7 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 8 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 10 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101