Levy sees David James as a poor investment - so it's no deal
Spurs manager Harry Redknapp may have persuaded Daniel Levy to free up the funds for Nico Kranjcar, but the chairman was unwilling to purchase yet another Portsmouth player, goalkeeper David James. Redknapp was keen to sign his favourite stopper, who he
Spurs manager Harry Redknapp may have persuaded Daniel Levy to free up the funds for Nico Kranjcar, but the chairman was unwilling to purchase yet another Portsmouth player, goalkeeper David James.
Redknapp was keen to sign his favourite stopper, who he continually calls "England's number one", especially as Heurelho Gomes will be sidelined for at least another two weeks with a thigh strain sustained against Hull City in the first week of the season.
Meanwhile, Spurs number two Carlo Cudicini is struggling for form and has made costly gaffes in his last two appearances against West Ham and Birmingham.
Despite the lack of senior goalkeeping cover, Levy decided that 39-year-old James offered no sell-on value, and vetoed the deal.
You may also want to watch:
Curiously, the Lilywhites have agreed to loan out two of their young goalkeepers, David Button and Oscar Jansson. Button returns to Crewe Alexandra, while Sweden Under-21 stopper Jansson will spend the next month with Exeter City.
Should Cudicini suffer an injury, Tottenham will ask the FA for permission to sign a keeper on an "emergency loan" basis.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 7 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more