Letter about work being carried out by Thames Water
- Credit: Nigel Rumble
Sixteen week of roadworks is absurd
Nigel Rumble, Chalcots Estate, full address supplied, writes:
Here in Belsize Park, we have all been misinformed by Thames Water on the water mains renewal project.
Adelaide Road closed 10 weeks is now being extended by six-plus weeks, same thing with Eton Avenue and various other locations.
This disruption does not only affect road users, it affects all local businesses, especially with older customers unable to visit local dentists, doctor surgery, dry cleaners or shops because of re-routed buses up towards Hampstead and down towards Swiss Cottage for 16-plus weeks at present estimate.
You may also want to watch:
Residents living, working or,worse, homebound due to health reasons and people at home under Covid-19 self-isolation enduring non-stop heavy machinery when sites are actually being maned which for days and weeks often sit idle.
In fact the prime Adelaide Road site appears all storage related with little activity.
- 1 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Former pupils launch creative fund to honour inspirational teacher
- 9 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 10 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
Many residents and small businesses tell me that it is the inadequate consultation and therefore, lack of respect that angers them most.
Nearly everyone understands need for utility renewal but 16+ weeks and counting is absurd. Residents feel betrayed by the common sense of these multi-million pound projects blighting the leafy area of Belsize and Primrose Hill.
What also really upsets residents is the knowledge that all of the water mains work is precursor of HS2 tunnelling operations which will cause considerable issues especially along the immediate routing of Adelaide Road beneath Fellows Road. Three tunnels each able to hold a double decker bus at 30m depth through our London clay passing beneath our houses and much of the Chalcots towers – subject of future letters once more is clarity provided by structural engineers of HS2.