Let's ditch the art for the horse and cart
Thankfully the wind house sculptor by Polish artist Monika Sosnowska is not to be placed on Hampstead Heath (Art in the parks set to be a thrill on Primrose Hill, H&H May 8). We have had the giant table and chair [ The Writer ] on the Heath a few years b
Thankfully the wind house sculptor by Polish artist Monika Sosnowska is not to be placed on Hampstead Heath (Art in the parks set to be a thrill on Primrose Hill, H&H May 8).
We have had the giant table and chair ['The Writer'] on the Heath a few years back and it was an eyesore. The area where it had stood destroyed the vegetation and it took months for it to grow back, though a faint outline of the disturbance can still be seen even today.
I would have thought that the idea of going to Hampstead Heath or to Primrose Hill was to appreciate the rural setting and to get away from the builds, artistic or otherwise.
Rather than make the Heath or Primrose Hill into the White Cube gallery in Shoreditch, there should be some imaginative schemes about how these green areas can be made even more rural.
Why have tank-like tractors on the Heath, for example, churning up the ground and giving off diesel fumes, while sucking-out the rubbish bins.
Why not bring back the horse and cart, fenced-off sheep to crop the grass, a riding school within the means of most people, maypoles on May Day, and take the Heath police out of their Land Rovers and put them on horseback where they would be more effective.
- 1 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 2 Susan Jones obituary: A 'humble' Muswell Hill shop owner of 40 years
- 3 Artist with autism exhibits vibrant London scenes at Lido Cafe
- 4 North London Chorus to perform in Muswell Hill
- 5 Possible travel disruptions in north London this week
- 6 'Someone is responsible for council spending £23m on office block'
- 7 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 8 Alexandra Palace chief executive to leave in 2022
- 9 Proposed bus changes could see Hampstead bus route 168 merged
- 10 Chance of snow in London this weekend
WILSON JOHN HAIRE
Lulot Garden, N19