Les Dennis joins protest to save his local newsagent – declaring it a ‘community hub’
Actor and TV presenter Les Dennis has pledged his support to a family-run Highgate newsagent under threat from Sainsbury’s.
Mr Dennis, a regular customer at Northwood Dairy, in Northwood Road, was shocked to learn his local shop could close.
Plans have been submitted to Haringey Council for a Sainsbury’s Local in nearby Archway Road.
Mr Dennis, currently performing at the Edinburgh Fringe, said: “Northwood Dairy isn’t just a convenience store – it is the heart and hub of our community.
“Harry and Kay are known for being caring, helpful and neighbourly.
You may also want to watch:
“They watch out for everyone including the elderly and the vulnerable. Would we get that at a Sainsbury’s Local?”
Northwood Dairy has been run by the Patel family for the past 30 years.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 4 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 5 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale
- 8 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
They have set up a petition in the shop calling for the council to refuse permission for Sainsbury’s to open.
Co-owner Harry Patel, 47, said: “It is great to see local people supporting us. We thank Les Dennis and everyone else who has supported us, including resident Judith Bennett who has been collecting signatures.
“We now believe there are safety issues with lorries unloading on the busy Archway Road in the morning, especially to cyclists travelling into work in the city.
“We urge people to write to the council and Transport for London about their concerns.”
A spokeswoman for the supermarket said that a Sainsbury’s near Highgate tube station would meet the needs of residents and complement businesses.