Lend a hand and support Mitzvah Day across Hampstead and Highgate
GOOD deeds will be all around north London next weekend as hundreds take part in the annual charity event Mitzvah Day.
The event, on November 21, will see people muck in to support community projects.
The Ham&High is leading its own special project with groups from across Camden visiting elderly homes to meet residents and in some cases sing them a song.
Dozens have already responded to our call to sign up and there is still time for groups to add themselves to the list and bring a little joy with a visit.
Ham&High editor Geoff Martin said: “Mitzvah Day is exactly the kind of project we should all be backing. In just a couple of hours we can bring a bit of joy and community spirit to elderly homes across our area. Those visited – and the visitors themselves – will end the day with just a bit more faith in society. In a time of recession that couldn’t be more important, and just after Remembrance Day it is pertinent to find some time to interact with older generations.”
Several community events are taking place including food collecting at supermarkets and supporting vulnerable groups such as the sick and homeless.
Highgate Synagogue is just one of those organisations taking part. They will be baking for a local homeless charity as well as joining Highgate School to collect for charities and helping to clear up the garden of a local Norwood home.
- 1 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 2 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 3 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 4 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 5 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 6 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 7 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 8 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 9 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 10 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
Debbie Cowen from the synagogue said: “Highgate Synagogue will be throwing itself into Mitzvah Day.”
To sign up to help in any of the events on the day go to www.mitzvahday.org.uk. To join the Ham&High visiting homes across north London email firstname.lastname@example.org or for more details email email@example.com or call 020-7433 6217.