Lend a hand and support Mitzvah Day across Hampstead and Highgate
GOOD deeds will be all around north London next weekend as hundreds take part in the annual charity event Mitzvah Day.
The event, on November 21, will see people muck in to support community projects.
The Ham&High is leading its own special project with groups from across Camden visiting elderly homes to meet residents and in some cases sing them a song.
Dozens have already responded to our call to sign up and there is still time for groups to add themselves to the list and bring a little joy with a visit.
Ham&High editor Geoff Martin said: “Mitzvah Day is exactly the kind of project we should all be backing. In just a couple of hours we can bring a bit of joy and community spirit to elderly homes across our area. Those visited – and the visitors themselves – will end the day with just a bit more faith in society. In a time of recession that couldn’t be more important, and just after Remembrance Day it is pertinent to find some time to interact with older generations.”
You may also want to watch:
Several community events are taking place including food collecting at supermarkets and supporting vulnerable groups such as the sick and homeless.
Highgate Synagogue is just one of those organisations taking part. They will be baking for a local homeless charity as well as joining Highgate School to collect for charities and helping to clear up the garden of a local Norwood home.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 5 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 8 Hampstead Heath guru Diane is 'a lifeline' for women's walking group
- 9 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 10 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
Debbie Cowen from the synagogue said: “Highgate Synagogue will be throwing itself into Mitzvah Day.”
To sign up to help in any of the events on the day go to www.mitzvahday.org.uk. To join the Ham&High visiting homes across north London email email@example.com or for more details email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020-7433 6217.