Laverne has a word for a good cause
Muswell Hill DJ and presenter Lauren Laverne urges people to back the Adopt a Word scheme
A MUSWELL Hill celebrity is urging people to consider an unusual Christmas present this year to help out a children’s charity.
Lauren Laverne is backing the Adopt a Word scheme by I CAN, a national children’s communication charity.
For just �15, supported by Collins Dictionary, you can adopt a word of your choice for a year – Ms Laverne opted for “candy”.
“As a writer and presenter, I know the importance of being able to communicate your thoughts with other people,” she said.
“Adopt a Word is a great way to support I CAN, a charity that helps children who struggle to communicate.
“It is a great alternative gift this Christmas – or for any special occasion.”
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 3 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 4 In pictures: Wacky racers descend on Alexandra Palace for soapbox challenge
- 5 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 6 Camden watchmaker launches crowdfunding campaign
- 7 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 8 Start-up delivers home cooked meals to your door
- 9 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 10 Gabriel Jesus solves Arsenal's striking conundrum
For more information – and to join other well-known adopters such as Stephen Fry and Paul McCartney – go to www.adoptaword.com.