Landlords who make life tough for private tenants
Given that 23 per cent of Camden households live in the private rented sector, many of your readers will no doubt be interested in the results of our recent tenants survey. Not only did we receive an impressive 35 per cent response rate, but it is also
Given that 23 per cent of Camden households live in the private rented sector, many of your readers will no doubt be interested in the results of our recent tenants' survey.
Not only did we receive an impressive 35 per cent response rate, but it is also very clear what people's main concerns are.
Given our long-term relationship with Camden's regulated tenants, it was no surprise that worries about fair rent rises came out on top, closely followed by getting repairs done, cold/damp flats, poorly maintained common areas, and then harassment by the landlord/agent and the fear of eviction. These are things that affect all private renters, regardless of the type of tenancy.
Some comments were illuminating, from ''unwilling to ask for repairs as this might get me evicted or the rent raised'' to one noting the ''ignorance, hostility and inefficiency of the landlord'' and we even had one person who thought their landlord ''is excellent''.
You may also want to watch:
Shockingly, one respondent reported the landlord's son raining blows on the ceiling below their bedroom, in a systematic campaign to force them from their home.
This shows that there is much work left to do to improve tenants' rights and tackle bad landlords. If you want to join us in this fight - get in touch or check out our website at www.cfpt.org.uk.
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 6 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 7 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 8 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 9 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 10 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
Camden Federation of Private Tenants