Landlords who make life tough for private tenants
Given that 23 per cent of Camden households live in the private rented sector, many of your readers will no doubt be interested in the results of our recent tenants survey. Not only did we receive an impressive 35 per cent response rate, but it is also
Given that 23 per cent of Camden households live in the private rented sector, many of your readers will no doubt be interested in the results of our recent tenants' survey.
Not only did we receive an impressive 35 per cent response rate, but it is also very clear what people's main concerns are.
Given our long-term relationship with Camden's regulated tenants, it was no surprise that worries about fair rent rises came out on top, closely followed by getting repairs done, cold/damp flats, poorly maintained common areas, and then harassment by the landlord/agent and the fear of eviction. These are things that affect all private renters, regardless of the type of tenancy.
Some comments were illuminating, from ''unwilling to ask for repairs as this might get me evicted or the rent raised'' to one noting the ''ignorance, hostility and inefficiency of the landlord'' and we even had one person who thought their landlord ''is excellent''.
You may also want to watch:
Shockingly, one respondent reported the landlord's son raining blows on the ceiling below their bedroom, in a systematic campaign to force them from their home.
This shows that there is much work left to do to improve tenants' rights and tackle bad landlords. If you want to join us in this fight - get in touch or check out our website at www.cfpt.org.uk.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 6 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 7 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
Camden Federation of Private Tenants